Wednesday 28 August 2013

Preparation for European Masters

So new blog and all that but lets skip over the introductions and go straight to the meat of this article.

In just under two weeks time I'm travelling to Rotterdam to take part in the European Masters and I've been busy trying to confirm my lists to get as much practice as I can before hand. So I thought I'd write about my lists, and the overarching plan for their use.

Deneghra1

Warwitch Deneghra
- Defiler
- Nightwretch
- Skarlock Thrall
Mechanithralls (Min)
Necrosurgeon & 3 Stitch Thralls x2
Press Gangers (Max)
Sea Dog Crew (Max)
- Mr. Walls Sea Dog Crew Quartermaster
- 3 Sea Dog Crew Riflemen
Gorman Di Wulfe
Bosun Grogspar
Doc Killingsworth
First Mate Hawk
Lord Rockbottom
Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile
Ogrun Bokur
Pistol Wraith

Deneghra and the Pirate boat is how this has been often described. This was popularised by Keith Christensen over on Muse on Minis and I've loved it in various versions for almost two years now. So yes the world knows about it but the recursion still works and the synergies that can happen because of the solos is really impressive.

Where I find this list falls down is against magically immune opponents. Menoth and Circle are the prime targets for this especially with Menoth's ability to kill troops with AOEs. But I still have Deneghra's feat to affect everybody so if I do get stuck in the wrong match-up I shouldn't be in too much trouble.

Asphyxious3

Asphyxious the Hellbringer
- Deathjack
- Erebus
Mechanithralls (Min)
Necrosurgeon & 3 Stitch Thralls x2
Satyxis Blood Witches (Max + UA)
Satyxis Raiders (Max + UA)
Ogrun Bokur
Ragman
Satyxis Raider Captain
Satyxis Raider Captain

I really love this list against most hordes opponents. Gaspy's feat puts most hordes in a difficult position as they will either force their beasts to do work and I'll get a load of extra focus in the next turn or they'll not do much and my army is relatively unhurt and ready to counter attack. This works because of Ashen Veil on the Raiders makes them DEF 16 in combat and pretty much every beast has to force to get through that. Even if Ashen Veil is removed they are still DEF 14 and thus troublesome. Add in the recursion of Mechanithralls and attrition isn't much of an issue, Carnage and Scything Touch makes them monsters vs most things.

I did have Nightmare in this list but I removed him whilst testing Deneghra2 as Erebus is the most survivable warjack available. Ragman is there to help remove anything heavy from the table whilst saving focus for more important things like camping or casting buffs and the Ogrun Bokur is the useful shield guard to prevent bad things happening to my medium based caster in a sea of small bases.

The major times I've had issues with this list are when the Satyxis fail their command checks or some clever person manages to remove the stitch thralls from the table. So I'm always going to be wary of the infantry clearing mechanics some armies have at their disposal.

Skarre1

Pirate Queen Skarre
- Kraken
- Skarlock Thrall
Bane Knights (Max) x2
Necrosurgeon & 3 Stitch Thralls
Bane Lord Tartarus
Darragh Wrathe
Machine Wraith
Necrotech & 1 Scrap Thrall x2
Satyxis Raider Captain

As I've gone through my other lists I've realised that I have a major weakness, Menoth and other infantry clearing mechanics. I had been thinking about sending in Mortenebra but I just don't feel she can do the job against a colossal or gargantuan as well as other casters. I've been playing Skarre1 for a while now with twenty bane knights and plenty of other infantry, but that suffers the same issues as my other two lists.

So I've heard a load about Skarre1 and the Kraken and decided to try it out for myself. Still keeping with the twenty bane knight plan as well. It works quite well. If the enemy concentrates fire upon the banes, the kraken kills heavies and vice versa. I've no issues with terrain, other than placing the Kraken's huge base, and with Darragh Wrathe and Tartarus the Bane Knight's threat range is 13" naturally and 16" with vengeance. So on my second turn I can be attacking something 27" out of my deployment. Banes in this list are not slow. Necrotechs are there to help out the Kraken, block LoS to Skarre and be the last resort Ritual Sacrifice targets in needed.

So those are my lists. Keep an eye out for my results either by Twitter or this blog (it depends on internet connections in Rotterdam).

No comments:

Post a Comment